We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Nasal congestion: causes and prevention. The most appropriate treatments and useful advice to clear the respiratory tract. How to relieve nasal congestion using simple natural remedies.
Flu symptoms can be many, but one of the most annoying is undoubtedly nasal congestion, a very annoying symptom that does not allow us to breathe well and above all rest. It occurs when the soft tissues inside the nose become inflamed.
Nasal congestion, causes
The inflammatory process can be attributed to various causes; among the most frequent we find:
- allergy to pollen
- typical seasonal allergies
- deviation of the nasal septum
- inhalation of both active and passive cigarette smoke
- enlargement of the adenoids
- Inflammation of the respiratory tract
- nasal polyps
- excessive use of nasal decongestants
How to relieve nasal congestion
The treatment to be taken in case of a blocked nose obviously depends on the cause that triggered the inflammation of the respiratory mucous membranes. If the symptom lasts for several days it is good to consult your doctor to investigate the causes of the problem. In the meantime, we want to suggest some non-pharmacological remedies that may be of some use
Eucalyptus essential oil
- Heat 500 ml of water, wait for it to boil and add 15 grams of eucalyptus essential oil
- Turn off the heat and pour the mixture into a container with a large opening
- Place a towel behind your head and tilt your face towards the bowl, making sure you breathe in the steam. The ideal would be to keep a distance of about 15 centimeters to avoid getting burned.
Lavender essential oil
- Pour 30 ml of lavender essential oil and 30 ml of almond oil into a bowl
- Mix well until you get a homogeneous mixture
- Apply directly to the chest, neck and back.
This remedy is very suitable for treating colds, flu, coughs and nasal congestion. Helps to decrease mucus accumulated in the lungs and airways.
Thyme essential oil
Thyme oil has a strong antibacterial and antioxidant action, so we are talking about a very effective product in strengthening the immune and respiratory systems.
- Pour 500 ml of water into a saucepan and let it heat up
- When the water boils, add 15 ml of thyme essential oil
- Take a steam bath with the freshly prepared remedy using a towel to cover your head
- Inhale the steam for a few minutes to clear the airways.
Mint essential oil
Mint has a very penetrating smell and, thanks to its topical use, the respiratory tract will be free in a short time. Treatment to be done every night before going to sleep, until congestion subsides
- Pour 30 ml of mint essential oil and 30 ml of jojoba oil into a bowl
- Apply the mixture on your neck and chest, rubbing gently until the mixture is completely absorbed.
Essential oil of oregano
Thanks to its therapeutic properties, the oregano infusion is often used to treat colds and flu. The same applies to essential oil.
- Pour 500 ml of water into a saucepan and boil the water
- Now add 15 ml of oregano oil
- Transfer the mixture into a container with a wide mouth
- Place a towel behind your neck and tilt your face about 6 inches from the bowl
- Breathe the steam deeply… in a few minutes the airways will be free
Nasal congestion, useful advice
- Sleep with an extra pillow to keep your head higher
- Take a hot shower: humidity and heat can provide relief
- Take hot balsamic drinks
- Making fumigations with bicarbonate or balsamic essences
- Perform nasal washes with physiological water or hypertonic water
- Blow your nose gently
- Avoid sudden changes in temperature